Procedure to be followed in Ownership Transfers
- Obtain the relevant form set containing MTA 6 and MTA 8 forms either from Department of Motor Traffic, District /Divisional Secretariats or the Department’s Web site.
- There are 04 copies of MTA 6 A, A1, B and B1 and 02 copies of MTA 8 C and C1 respectively.
- All copies of MTA 6 shall be completed by the Current registered owner of the vehicle.
- The current registered owner shall keep the A and A1 copies of the application and handover the rest to the new owner of the Vehicle
- The current registered owner shall send through the registered post or hand deliver the Copy A of MTA6 to the Commissioner General of Motor Traffic and keep the copy A1.
- The new owner may handover the duly completed copy B of MTA 6 and copy C of MTA 8 to the relevant Vehicle Transfer section of the Department of Motor Traffic and shall obtain the CMT 52 receipt.
- The new owner shall keep the copy B1 of MTA 6 and copy C1 of MTA 8.
- The applications with other relevant supporting documents could be handed over at the Normal service counters of the relevant transfer branches of the Department of Motor Traffic, Colombo 05 or a district office of Motor Traffic or the relevant Divisional Secretariat between 9.00 am to 2.00 pm on week days.
One Day Transfer Service
- The applicants could obtain the one day transfer service only if the following requirements are met.
- This service could only be obtained at Department of Motor Traffic’s Head office.
For the One Day Service;
- The transferee shall be present at the department and hand over the relevant documents to the one day service counter after verifying his/her identity, between 9.00 am to 12.00 noon on week days. However if the Deputy or Assistant Commissioner in charge of the transfer branch satisfies with the documents submitted and the other details the one day service could still be obtained even by an agent of the transferee.
- Once a one day transfer is obtained, within 06 months period another one day transfer will not be allowed. However the Deputy or Assistant Commissioner in charge of the transfer branch could provide the one day service facility in such a situation if he/she is satisfied with the available information and documents to confirm that there is no any objection on the transfer.
- The Certificate of Registration shall be Original (First Copy). However the one day service could be offered even for a Duplicate Certificate of Registration if the Deputy/Assist Commissioner in charge is satisfied with the available information.
- The Deputy/Assist Commissioner has the authority to allow the transfers between blood relations and transfers where transferor and transferee are of a same address through one day service after getting statements from the relevant parties.
- For a property of Vihara and Devalayas the non-objection letter of the Commissioner-Buddhist Affairs shall be provided.
- Vehicles of State or Statutory Boards will not be transferred under the One day Service.
- Shall not be Transfers of Deceased owners, Change of Particulars of Certificate of Registration or Obtaining a Duplicate of the Certificate of Registration.
- Only one transfer is allowed when it is between two personnel and in the case of obtaining a mortgage or lease maximum of 03 transfers are allowed.
- In case of Registered Vehicle Owner is present , the Deputy or Assistant Commissioner in charge could issue a Duplicate of the Certificate of Registration through one day service if he/she is satisfied with the details presented.
- The Transferor will be informed through registered post after an every one day transfer.
The Following Services could be obtained through one day Service
- Ownership Transfers (which Satisfy the above conditions)
- Registration of Absolute Ownership
- De-Registration of Absolute Ownership.
- Change of particulars, only if the officer in charge is satisfied with the information provided.
- Copy B of MTA 6
- Copy C of MTA 8
- If the transferor or transferee is a limited liability company the applications shall be signed and stamped with an embossed seal. If it is not using an embossed seal it shall be clearly stated in a letter written on a company letter head.
- If the transferor is a partnership then the consent of the other partners shall be provided in writing.
- If the transferor is a single owned company consent of the owner in writing and a copy of company registration shall be provided.
- 2 copies of transferee’s photographs (size 2”x2.5”). One copy shall be endorsed by the Grama Niladhari of the area, a Justice of Peace or a staff grade government officer( The registration number of the JP shall be included in the stamp)
- The National Identity card of the transferee and a photo copy of it.
- Valid revenue license for the date of transfer and a photo copy of it.
- The Certificate of Registration of the vehicle.
- The letter of Deletion of a mortgage or a lease. If any.
- A letter of no objection from the transferor and a copy of the national identity card. Both these documents shall be certified by a the Grama Niladhari of the area, a Justice of Peace ,a lawyer, a commissioner for oaths or a staff grade government officer( The registration number of the JP shall be included in the stamp)
- The copy A of MTA 6 ( Not required if already sent or hand delivered to the Commissioner General of Motor Traffic by the transferor) Copies and receipts of payment and of Luxury taxes. If any.
- When the transferee is a woman, the marriage certificate (if the name has been changed after the marriage)
Documents required to be submitted for the revision of information contained in the registration certificate.
- CMT 72 application
- Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Vehicle Identity Card (applicable only for vehicles with new numbers starting with English letters.)
- In case of a change of the colour of the vehicle, engine number etc. certificate of the Motor Vehicle examiner (CMT – 130)
- If luxury taxes are applicable, originals of the receipts on payment of such taxes and photo copies of the same.
- If another engine has been installed, the prior approval of the Commissioner General and the receipt for the purchase of the engine (with photo copies)
- In case of revision of the name and the address, relevant documents confirming the fact should be submitted.(EX.Birth certificate, National Identity Card, Report of the Grama Niladhari, an affidavit etc)
Fee : Rs. 300/-
Registration of a Mortgage / an absolute ownership / a lease.
- Registration certificate of the vehicle (CR)
- Vehicle Identity Card (V1C)
- Letter of consent from the owner of the vehicle for mortgaging the vehicle to the relevant institution or to transfer absolute ownership.
- In case of registration of a mortgage, a certified copy of the mortgage deed, and letter written on a letterhead of the relevant financial institution informing of the registration of the mortgage.
- For registration of absolute ownership, perfected MTA 3 form.
- For registration of a lease, a copy of the deed of lease held and a letter by the lesser.
Cancelling the registration of a mortgage / an absolute ownership / a lease of a vehicle.
- Registration certificate of the vehicle (CR)
- Vehicle Identity Card (VIC)
- A certified photo copy of the applicant’s national identity card. A letter written on a letterhead of the Financial institution addressing the Commissioner of Motor Traffic requesting the cancellation of mortgage / absolute ownership / lease as well obligations have been settled. (Stating the number of the relevant vehicles in compulsory)
Obtaining a duplicate in case the registration certificate of the vehicle or the vehicle identity card is misplaced.
- CMT 65 application
- A certified copy of the complaint lodged with the Police with respect to the loss of that certificate and the receipt of payment for that.
- In case a mortgage / an absolute ownership / a lease has been registered, a letter issued by the relevant institution stating that it does not object to the issue of a duplicate.
- If the original of the registration certificate or the vehicle identity card is disfigured or partially destroyed, the same should be submitted as well.
- A photocopy of the national identity card.
- A CMT 130 application to obtain weight certificate of a vehicle.
Obtaining the duplicate of number plate of a vehicle or a duplicate of the sticker of a vehicle bearing a number starting with English letters.
- CMT 65 application form
- A certified copy of the complaint lodged with the police on the loss of the number plate / sticker and the receipt of payment in that respect.
- If a mortgage / an absolute ownership / a lease has been registered, a letter issued from the relevant institution intimating that it does not object to the issue of a duplicate of the number plate / sticker.
- If the original of the number plate / sticker is disfigured or partially destroyed, the same should be submitted as well.
- A photo copy of the national identity card.
Request for a duplicate and registration of transfer in case the registration of certificate of the vehicle is misplaced.
- The document mentioned in (1) and (b) above are required to be submitted.
- A certificate of identity obtained by the new owner after presenting the vehicle to a motor vehicle examiner should be submitted.
(A form with the required approval for obtaining a certificate of identity is issued to the applicant by this department.)
Cancellation of the Registration of a vehicle.
In case a registered motor vehicle is removed from Sri Lanka, or destroyed or has been dismantled or rendered unusable permanently, the registered owner should inform the Commissioner General of Motor Traffic within 14 days, for the cancellation of its registration. It is appropriate to refer such requests directly to this department. A request for cancellation should be made through MTA 67 and request for removal from the country should be made through MTA 140.
In case a motor vehicle removed from the country is brought back to the country and registration needs to be reactivated, the registration certification issued on the removal of the vehicle, the documents relevant to the cancellation of registration in a foreign country if such has been the case, should be submitted along with the customs documents.
- Documents required to declare a vehicle as disabled.
- Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Vehicle identity card (only for the vehicles with new English numbers)
- Two 2.0 x 2.5 inch colour or black and white photographs of the transferee taken within 6 months up to the date of application (A photograph should be certified by the Grama Niladhari of the relevant area, a Justice of the Peace, or a staff grade officer by placing the signature on the reverse of the same. The registration number of the Justice of the Peace should be in the frank)
- A photocopy of the identity card of the transferer.
- CMT-75, CMT 130, CMT – 72 applications
- Medical certificate.
Fuel conversion can be performed only after 3 years from the date of registration and before 25 years has been completed only. Relevant documents
- CMT 130 form
- CMT 72 form
- A photo copy of the revenue license.
- Letter from the Finance Company (only if applicable)
- A photocopy of the bill of the engine.
- A photocopy of the registration certificate.
- A letter of request.
- The above-mentioned documents should be submitted to the Technical Branch and thereafter prior approval for the conversion should be obtained from the Commissioner General of Motor Traffic.
- Producing the approval documents and the vehicle to the Werahera office and obtaining weight certificate and fuel conversion of vehicle can be performed after handing over the documents to the relevant branch.
Conversion of the vehicle class
Conversion of the vehicle class is possible only within a period of 25 years from the date of registration. Relevant Documents
- CMT 130 form
- CMT 72 form
- Photo copy of the revenue license
- Letter of the Finance Company (if relevant only)
- Photocopy of the registration certificate
- Letter of request
- The aforesaid documents should be submitted to the Technical Branch and prior approval should be obtained from the Commissioner General of Motor Traffic.
- The approved documents and the vehicle should be produced to the Werahera office and performing the conversion of the vehicle class after handing over the documents to the relevant branch.